cPanel MailScanner Install/Upgrade Package
Please read this whole page before downloading the package
Through our experience of installing, configuring and upgrading MailScanner for many clients we have decided to publish our scripts that can be used to:
- Install MailScanner
- Upgrade an existing MailScanner installation (that resides in /usr/mailscanner/)
- Upgrade an existing MailScanner installation (and use a clean installation of the files)
- Uninstall MailScanner
For upgrades and uninstallation, this package will only work with MailScanner installation installed from this package.
The package configures MailScanner with sensible options that will minimize impact on server performance. Do be aware, through, that high email traffic volumes will inevitably cost something in server performance. There are a few additional steps that you can take to minimize this:
- Don't use the Default Address (this will help limit exposure to dictionary attacks). Instead create Forwarders to your Mail Accounts for all addresses that you actually use. Do note that if you do this the main account email address will no longer work (quirk of cPanel). To use it, you need to create an actual Mail account called email@example.com and use that for POP3 access.
- Use :fail: instead of :blackhole: for your Default or any other Address where you want delivery to fail. This causes email delivery to stop at an early stage (RCPT) before the email actually gets onto your server.
While we're not aware of any significant bugs, there's no guarantee or warranty provided with the script. We also do not provide any support for it. If you require support and contact us, there may be a charge for any work or advice provided. If you want support, we offer a cheap package to do it all for you, and more, over here.
You use it at your own risk*
This script has only been tested on supported releases of Redhat or CentOS Linux. There is no support for running on servers running Trustix, FreeBSD, SUSE or any OS that is EOL/obsolete or unsupported by cPanel (e.g. RedHat 9, Fedora,etc).
- If you have the cPanel Clamavconnector installed (WHM > Add-on Modules) remove it - it will break MailScanner
- Login to your root account on your server via SSH
- Download the package, expand it and go into it:
tar -xzf msinstall.tar.gz
- Follow the instructions in the README.txt and INSTALL.txt files in the package
- Please note that the script currently is configured to download the latest MailScanner at the time of writing. If you want a different version, edit msinstall.pl and modify the $mailscanner variable appropriately
- Once installed/upgraded/uninstalled make sure that both MailScanner is
running correctly and that exim is sending and receiving emails (you should
use 2 separate SSH windows to do this):
tail -f /var/log/maillog
tail -f /var/log/exim_mainlog
- Subscribe to our blog to be notified about updates
While we are happy to provide these scripts for free, we are a small outfit that runs on a slim margin. If you do decide to use them, we'd be eternally grateful for any donation you think might express your gratitude so that we can continue to develop and provide them:
That's it. If you don't feel confident doing any of this yourself, or if you get into a horrible mess, we offer a cheap package to do it all for you, and more, over here.
* While we endeavour to configure MailScanner to be as efficient as possible, the application inevitably uses server resources. Due to this additional load, we recommend caution when installing MailScanner on a server with very high email throughput which has less than 1GB of memory.